One of the best things for a movie night is to have a theme. And that’s why the world made sequels in my opinion. It’s so much easier to pick out a set of movies than just a random assortment of movies. Today I have put together a list of
Movie Marathon themes. Some of these themes even have their own snack ideas that come along with them. So be prepared for the ultimate Geekend List!
- Star Wars. Of course. Can’t have a Geekend without this one. Break out the light sabers and lets have a party. Now there are many Star Wars movies. I would just suggest the first three or the last three as they really don’t have to be seen in particular order when broken up in those two groups. As for snacks, none for this theme, but you could definitely break out some of those plastic light sabers (you all know you secretly have them) and have a war at the end if you feel like totally geeking out.
- Harry Potter. I like to say you can watch all of them in one sitting, but the truth is no one really has patience for that (besides crazy fans like me). For snack buy a couple bags of Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans and make your guests some Butterbeer. Check out this recipe for Butterbeer off of the Bakingdom blog by Darla. She also has a couple of other recipes like cauldron cakes and treacle tarts. Set up some Hogwarts House banners, maybe even play games and have teams from different houses. I know there are lots of board games that have to do with Harry Potter and Trivia games. (I may end up doing a whole post about Harry Potter Parties. This can get so intricate!)
- Twilight. So you either like these movies, or you don’t. I love them and I also think they make for a great girls night in. Obviously theme colors would be black and red, maybe some white. Red wine that resembles blood as beverages. If people aren’t huge fans of wine you could do sparkling wine which is just adding sprite and some fruit juice to make it sweeter. Maybe some red velvet cake and, if dinner is being served, a nice yummy bloody steak.
- Lord of the Rings. These movies are kinda long but it’s cool to see if you can get through them and they are also a must have on a Geekend marathon event. Beer and white wines, rolls of bread, maybe some stew. And for desert something that has to do with rings. I’m not quite sure at the moment and the only thing I can thing of is bunt cake (lame!) so I’ll get back to you on that. I know that party favors can definitely be an One Ring to Rule them All, though (not real gold obviously, find something plastic and cheap on Amazon).
- Marvel Madness! Everyone loves the superhero movies and Marvel has quite a few out. Play the game where you try to catch Stan Lee in each of the movies (in case you didn’t know, he makes an appearance in EVERY Marvel movie). Plus there are so many options with this theme: all of them, Spiderman, The Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Elektra, The X-Men, The Avengers, Iron Man (or you could include him in the Avengers), etc. Snacks? Comic themed cupcakes? Junk food? Go back to your childhood and what were the things you liked to eat while watching movies.
- The Dark Knight. This is more superhero madness, but DC instead of Marvel as my boyfriend likes to remind me. I just love Christian Bale. A movie madness with him in it is just enough for me. I can’t really think of good themed food for an event such as this one besides dimming the lights, putting up the surround sound and popping some popcorn.
- Superman. Now this can either be the new version or the old one because they are both awesome! As for color schemes, obviously blue and red and yellow, superman logos and whatnot. For food, all I would want is a pizza party, but really you could do anything, even bake a superman cake.Monster Madness. This includes the oldies but the goldies of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy, and the Wolf Man. These are classics and really great for real movie buffs and for Halloween time. If you do it around Halloween then obviously the food will be on the sweeter side. If not, everybody loves the spooky thing year round! Stick some cobwebs up, maybe a black light and skip back a couple of months, no one will mind and it will put the money you spent on Halloween to more use.
- A Pixar Party. Choose three favorite Pixar movies and revert back to your childhood: The Incredibles, Monsters. Inc., A Bug’s Life, Up, Cars, Finding Nemo, Toy Story, Ratatouille, etc. Everybody likes gathering to become a kid again and these movies are classics, good for adults and kids, especially if you are gonna be having a mix of ages. Totally appropriate and fun for everyone!
- Planet of the Apes. I love these movies and know I am a geek for it, but they are great fro movie marathons too. Fruit salads galore and just a good time all around. And I still haven’t seen the prequel BEFORE watching the old ones so I think it would be interesting to see how they tie in together.
Hopefully my list will help you on your way to planning your next movie night or Geekend!
Have any great ideas for a movie marathon? Please comment and share them with me!